Tuesday 26 April 2011

Wise men say

Some will remember this charming scene, which happened in a committee meeting.  It does not matter which committtee.  All committees, I sense, are largely the same, in their sweet inefficiency.  Playgrounds for the elderly, often - men and women who can't let go, yet who don't know what they are holding onto.

I was sitting there munching biscuits when the first older person appeared. 

Hello, he said.

Hello, I replied.

A companiable silence fell, as we awaited others. 

Shall I put my hearing aid in?, he suddenly asked.

I stared at him in bemusement. 

I don't usually wear it when I referee at hockey, he said pensively.  His brow furrowed, and his face tightened.

Why should I, he asked, with passion.  Why should I wear it, so I can hear them call me blind?

Love, M&T x   

No comments:

Post a Comment